IHI E&C engineered and constructed a grass roots Gas-to-Liquids (GTL) test facility for BP Exploration (Alaska) Inc. in Nikiski, Alaska. The test facility was built to demonstrate a new technology for syngas generation combined with an improved process for converting syngas to 300 barrels per day of syncrude.
- Demonstration of a new syngas generation technology named “Compact Reforming” owned by Davy Process Technology and BP
- Remote location, severe winter weather
- Commercial size Compact Reformer
- Modular design
- Scope included site selection, detailed design, procurement, construction, commissioning and start-up services
- Large tents were utilized to allow concrete foundation installation during severe winter weather leading to improved schedule
- Projects executed from IHI E&C’s office in Houston, TX, U.S.A.
- Duration: 28 months